THANKS FOR VISITING!

I'm an Emmy Award Winning meteorologist at Fox 61 in Hartford. For the latest forecast updates (and fun stuff too, like food and family pics), please follow me on Facebook, twitter and instagram. I look forward to interacting with you there!

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

From Warm To White!? Friday Morning Snow.

From record warmth to snow? Bridgeport set a new daily record high temperature today. 60 degrees beat the old record of 57 set back in 1990.

So why are we talking about snow? This seems like a mistake. But with cold air moving in a mix of rain, wet snow and sleet will break overnight into early tomorrow. We are not expecting a lot of snow but the timing of this storm couldn’t be worse…hitting right during the morning commute. New model runs suggest moderate to possibly heavy snow inland for a few hours leading up to and during the commute. Even though the ground is warm and a lot of snow should melt when it hits the ground, if snow comes down heavy enough it could cause slippery spots and school delays.

I’m still working on snowfall accumulations. The HRRR (High Resolution Rapid Refresh) worries me with 4”-6”in the hills and 2”-4” for much of inland Connecticut. The NAM is in line with that but the Euro and GFS are a little warmer with a coating to 1” inland and 1”-3” in the hills. Because the models have overforecasted snow/cold so many times this winter, I’m leaning towards the GFS and Euro. I’ll keep looking at the models and I’ll update you tonight on the news at 10 with my final thoughts!!

Here's the HRRR for the snow lover's wishcast:

No comments:

Instagram @RachelFrankCT