2011 Season Highlights
- This level of activity matched NOAA’s predictions and continues the trend of active hurricane seasons that began in 1995.
- The 19 tropical storms represent the third-highest total (tied with 1887, 1995, and 2010) since records began in 1851 and is well above the average of 11.
- However, the number of hurricanes and major hurricanes is only slightly above the average of six and two.
- Irene was the lone hurricane to hit the United States in 2011, and the first one to do so since Ike struck southeast Texas in 2008.
- 2011 marks a record six straight years without a major hurricane hitting the United States. The last one to do so was Wilma in 2005.