THANKS FOR VISITING!

I'm an Emmy Award Winning meteorologist at Fox 61 in Hartford. For the latest forecast updates (and fun stuff too, like food and family pics), please follow me on Facebook, twitter and instagram. I look forward to interacting with you there!

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

Friday, July 27, 2012

Nasty Storms For Southwestern CT


All the blue dots on the map above represent wind damage from yesterday's storms. Notice how the northern extent of the storm damage stops in southwestern CT.  This is where the storms came to die. Boy, did we dodge a bullet!

The storms caused some wind damage in Litchfield and Fairfield Counties with wind gusts up to 52 mph in Bridgeport. Then then storms significantly weakened moving into Waterbury and New Haven.

A southwest wind certainly didn't help with the storms ingesting cooler, more stable marine air.  But I think the late arrival of the sun made a big difference too.  Areas that broke into the warm sector sooner had better instability. There were a few other timing/lapse rate issues too.  Stuff that you can't predict until the event is unfolding right in front of you.

Several key ingredients were there for nasty storms so looking back I wouldn't change anything about my forecast.  But I know people plan their day after watching me.  So I always feel bad when things don't go according to plan.  I'm not a hyper.  But I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

In the mean time, crank up the A.C. and enjoy the fact that you have power tonight!

No comments:

Instagram @RachelFrankCT