THANKS FOR VISITING!

I'm an Emmy Award Winning meteorologist at Fox 61 in Hartford. For the latest forecast updates (and fun stuff too, like food and family pics), please follow me on Facebook, twitter and instagram. I look forward to interacting with you there!

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Flooding Rain Last Night

Last night Bradley International Airport recorded 3.65" of rain! Rainfall rates were over an inch per hour for two hours. I have to admit the heavy rain last night wasn't in the forecast. I called for showers and a few heavy downpours but there was no hint of the flooding that followed. The computer models were blindsided, the radar was fairly quiet, even at 11 PM. Looking back, I didn't "miss" anything. But this is proof that there's a limit to what we do as meteorologists. We aren't always right. And yes, I'm OK with admitting that.

Here are rainfall totals over the past few days. Very impressive! This rain combined with rainfall from Irene and a wet end to August caused flooding for many rivers and streams across the state.


No comments:

Instagram @RachelFrankCT