THANKS FOR VISITING!

I'm an Emmy Award Winning meteorologist at Fox 61 in Hartford. For the latest forecast updates (and fun stuff too, like food and family pics), please follow me on Facebook, twitter and instagram. I look forward to interacting with you there!

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thursday thunder & one of the worst tornado outbreaks of all time



The pink shaded counties are under a severe thunderstorm watch until 4 PM. That includes Fairfield & Litchfield Counties. The clouds, fog, and drizzle we have seen the past two days will work in our favor. Our proximity to the ocean and the Long Island Sound will keep our air more stable. So even though some strong storms could sneak into the western part of the state bringing gusty winds, the storms will weaken fairly quickly. Expect heavy rain at times.

Meanwhile, I am glued to the TV watching video of the historic tornado outbreak Wednesday. This is blowing my mind! I couldn't take my eyes off the radar yesterday. Every storm that developed was more impressive than the last. They looked like textbook super cells...perfect storms.


The most tornadoes ever reported in one tornado outbreak was The Super Outbreak of April 3–4, 1974. 148 confirmed tornadoes ripped across eastern North America and resulted in the second highest death toll (319) in the United States. Although you see 164 tornado reports on Wednesday, some of the reports are caused by the same tornado. The NWS will investigate the damage the next several days. So we have to see what the final confirmed number is to determine if we broke any records. I don't even have the right words to express how sorry I am for the people affected by these storms.

No comments:

Instagram @RachelFrankCT