THANKS FOR VISITING!

I'm an Emmy Award Winning meteorologist at Fox 61 in Hartford. For the latest forecast updates (and fun stuff too, like food and family pics), please follow me on Facebook, twitter and instagram. I look forward to interacting with you there!

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

Monday, December 24, 2012

A Little White Christmas Eve, Then Ice

From the 12Z NAM BUFKIT. Read from right to left
While snow will be falling for midnight mass tonight, snow will likely change over to a period of freezing rain or freezing drizzle.  I circled in white the areas where snow growth is favored.  After that time ~3am or so, there will not be many ice crystals to start the snow growth process.  At the same time, drier air is moving in aloft (Relative humidity is the green/red shading). That means...freezing rain becomes more likely after that time.  So I'm not expecting more than a coating to an inch of snow, followed by a coating of ice. Watch for slippery spots early Christmas morning.  I'm not expecting big problems on the road with little moisture to work with.  But it doesn't take much ice to make the roads slick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lets hope for more snow than Ice good thing I'm staying put with the Yule Log on TV..

Hugs,

John West
Southington CT

Instagram @RachelFrankCT