THANKS FOR VISITING!

I'm an Emmy Award Winning meteorologist at Fox 61 in Hartford. For the latest forecast updates (and fun stuff too, like food and family pics), please follow me on Facebook, twitter and instagram. I look forward to interacting with you there!

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Dangerous Outside

I was about to hit "publish" on this post right before the power went out.

I don't use the word dangerous very often. Over 325,000 people (including me) are now without power. Thats is 25% of CL&P's consumers. Trees, branches and powerlines are falling all across the state & the worst of the storm hasn't even hit yet.

This is a very heavy wet snow with a low snow to liquid ratio, meaning it's heavier than the powdery stuff, weighing everything down. The snow is sticking to the roads easily.

The Merritt Parkway is now closed to non emergency traffic. I-84 in Southington is closed. Numerous crashes and bumper-to-bumper traffic forced police to shut down Route 44 on both sides of Avon Mountain in West Hartford and Avon.

Danbury's Mayor, Mark Boughton, ordered all local roads shut down by 4 p.m. The Mayor said only emergency vehicles would be allowed in order to clear away cars that are stuck.

I heard thunder at my house a few hours ago. Thundersnow is very rare! Think of a winter thunderstorm. With strong upward motion our air is very unstable. Snowfall rates will increase to 1"-2" per hour at times tonight. The forecast is still on track! This will be my last blog post. My blackberry doesn't have very good radar and I had to have my Mom publish this post.

Mom says, "If you still have power, find your flashlights, batteries and candles now!"

Be safe!

No comments:

Instagram @RachelFrankCT