THANKS FOR VISITING!

I'm an Emmy Award Winning meteorologist at Fox 61 in Hartford. For the latest forecast updates (and fun stuff too, like food and family pics), please follow me on Facebook, twitter and instagram. I look forward to interacting with you there!

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Q & A For a School Project

A Suffield high school student asked me to fill out an interview for his English Media class. Since it took me a while to complete, I thought I would share the interview with you. Plus, if you look closely enough you can figure out how old I am...hehe.

1. What college(s) did you attend?

Pennsylvania State University

2. What did you major/minor in college?

I have a B.S. in Meteorology with a Weather Forecasting & Communication Option

3. Did you take part in any internships?

I had an opportunity to intern at News12 New Jersey but turned it down to take a position as a meteorologist on a college TV show called “Weather Or Not”. I felt that hands-on on-air experience would be more beneficial for me.

4. Have you worked at any other stations?

WICU 12News in Erie, PA
WFMZ 69News in Allentown, PA


5. Do you rely on technology often with your job?

Yes, everyday!

6. What technology do you use/rely on the greatest?

Radar, satellite, current observations (shared through a network on the internet), computer models, weather graphics, live doppler radar.

7. Have you ever been in any dangerous situations such as hazardous weather conditions?

Yes, I have reported live on the highway during a snowstorm. That can be dangerous as people speed by you on the slick roads. I have been caught outside severe thunderstorms with large hail and frequent lightning but not while I was working.

8. Were you ever affected by a news story, if so, what news story affected you the greatest?

Anytime I do a story on a funeral of a fallen soldier or a house fire where a family lost all their belongings, it’s really emotional. I once did a story on a missing man. His friends said the man was a drug addict. But when his family watched the story they were extremely hurt that we broadcasted his problems with drugs. The missing man’s children were watching the news. I felt horrible! I think that was the news story that affected me the most.

9. What is the most embarrassing moment that happened to you on set?

I was covering a snow storm when I first began my career and my graphics system crashed. I started reading an old graphic that said “Partly sunny, High: Near 50” when it was snowy and cold. I have learned now how to recover better when my equipment fails.

10. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you were an adult?

Since 7th grade I knew I wanted to be a meteorologist. But before that time I wanted to be a doctor or an actress (I was all over the place).

11. What jobs did you hold before holding your current job?

I got a job as a broadcast meteorologist straight out of college. Before I graduated, I had a job in retail and I was a waitress for a short time.

12. Have you ever won any awards at your job? If so, what's the greatest award appreciated?

In Erie I won a Golden Mic Award for Best Weekend News Team

13. What is your favorite part of your occupation?

The weather is always different so my job is different every day.

14. What is the most difficult part of your occupation?

Forecasting…it’s not an exact science.

15. Have you ever taken part in public relations work?

No.

16. Did you ever have a mentor?

No.

17. How many hours do you work a week?

40 hours, unless there is a big storm. During inclement weather I work overtime.

18. What influenced you on this career choice?

In 7th grade I did a project on clouds. I found it interesting that people can do some basic forecasting just by looking at the sky. I wanted to know what other tools meteorologists looked at to forecast.
19. What is the one college course that best prepared you for your current job?

I had two classes in forecasting the weather. Those were most helpful.

20. What is the most interesting moment that happened to you on set?

It’s always interesting when you have to focus on giving a weather presentation while people are talking all around you. It takes a while to learn how to block out everything.
21. What qualities or experience make you the best candidate for this position?

I have a degree in meteorology and have 9+ years experience forecasting. I have 4+ years experience on-air. I know how to break down the weather in a friendly, personable way that is easy to understand. AT least I hope I can!

22. Have you ever made a mistake in your job, and if so, did you learn anything from it?

Whenever part of the forecast is wrong, I always go back and try to understand why I made a mistake. Then I learn/know how to forecast in a similar situation in the future.

23. What is the one moment while working that you have had the most fun?

This answer is going to sound fake, but I always have fun working! Forecasting is my passion and I also enjoy reporting and meeting new people.

24. What motivates you to do the best on the job?

I want to learn how to communicate the weather better so that people can use and understand the information I give them,
25 How would your co-workers describe you in three words?

Dependable, Friendly, Hard-Working

No comments:

Instagram @RachelFrankCT