THANKS FOR VISITING!

I'm an Emmy Award Winning meteorologist at Fox 61 in Hartford. For the latest forecast updates (and fun stuff too, like food and family pics), please follow me on Facebook, twitter and instagram. I look forward to interacting with you there!

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Urban Oaks Farm

Please read about my experience at the farm below!

 
I went to Urban Oaks Farm today with lush gardens filled with exotic food in...New Britain!?! (Insert screeching record sound here) I know, it's surprising. Nothing against New Britainites but it's an urban area! And yes, this farm is in the middle of the city making it the largest urban organic farm in New England.

I came across the story idea after reading an article about exotic foods in the New York Times. (Let's pretend I read the newspaper everyday, it makes me sound smarter.) I pulled up to the farm skeptical because it looked so small from the outside. I couldn't imagine this was the expansive greenhouse that I had read about in the N.Y.T. But sure enough, I stepped inside and it was like living out Alice In Wonderland because 1) it looked astronomically bigger while inside 2) it was what I imagine a foodie's acid trip might be like.

I tried the most amazing fruit today! It's called a strawberry husk tomato. It looks like a teeny green tomato (about the size of a chick pea) wrapped in a blanket. The blanket is a husk which you peel away. Then you pop it into your mouth like candy. I HATE TOMATOES. So I was hesitant when farm General Manager Mike Kandefer asked me to try one. How bad could it be? I sucked it up and chewed it slowly, taking in the flavor. My first reaction was...eww it has the texture of a tomato. But I kept chewing to be polite. Then the flavor hit me! It tasted like a cross between a strawberry and a pineapple. YUMMY! I ended up taking a little box back to the station and fed everyone this new fruit I felt I had discovered.

I had a similar experience with my first fresh fig. The key word is "FRESH"! I don't care for dried figs. They look like big raisins and they make you...you know! But when Mike picked one straight from the only fig tree in Connecticut, I felt obligated to take a bite. I was shocked by how delicious it was! The center was pink and it sort of looked like a brain (not the best way to describe something I'm trying to get you to eat, I realize this). On a less scary note...it was sweet, succulent and unique.

Sorry for the long blog post but I felt inspired.

P.S. Please don't compare my YouTube video with ijustine. If my videos are like her videos I'm never making a video again. Unless you can find a really funny one. In which case, please send it to me. :)

P.P.S. Best weather EVER today! 70s, sunny and low humidity. Perfection.

5 comments:

andizee said...

loved that farm story...u always have a different look--love that 2!!!

Anonymous said...

how cool to have a farm like that in New Britain

Anonymous said...

By the way, there are loads of fig growers in CT. I guess one shouldn't let facts get in the way of a story.

Rachel said...

Anonymous: Please tell me which other farms grow figs so I can post that as well. I am not familiar with every farm in the state. Thank you!

mark marino said...

a friend of mine told me to check out your beautiful organic farming site - it looks awesome - hope you have a great 2010 - mark m.

Instagram @RachelFrankCT