THANKS FOR VISITING!

I'm an Emmy Award Winning meteorologist at Fox 61 in Hartford. For the latest forecast updates (and fun stuff too, like food and family pics), please follow me on Facebook, twitter and instagram. I look forward to interacting with you there!

LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK!

Monday, May 4, 2009

Can Social Networking Cause Depression In Teens?

Usually when I report on a story, I am gathering research, getting interviews and writing a story in a matter of just 3-6 hours. Many people don't realize the stories you see on the news were all slammed together in the course of one day (with care of course).

Today I had the rare opportunity to start a special assignment story. This means I have more than ONE DAY to prepare for my story. I am always concerned the usual time constraints restrict the quality of my work and now that I have this extra time....I don't know what to do with it! Haha!

So what's the story I'm working on? I found new research that determines social networking, texting, and other forms of communication through technology can increase depression in teens. OK, I know what you're thinking..."not another new study that no one cares about". But think about it. Today's teens may have 500 facebook contacts but how many of those people are really close friends? Today's youth don't sit down face-to-face and talk through problems, they text message!

Think about how fast rumors are spread by whispering through school hallways. These days gossip travels instantaneously (or at the speed of your latest DSL connection). Today I spoke with teens and a psychiatrist about the relevance of the new study. I'll let you know when it's ready to air...But you don't want to miss it!

No comments:

Instagram @RachelFrankCT